We are happy to inform you about upcoming long-term volunteer projects in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan this year. These projects provide opportunities for volunteers to engage in meaningful projects and foster cultural exchange while collaborating with our valued partner organizations. The projects allow participants to immerse themselves in the local communities and contribute to local initiatives.
- The projects offer stays of between 1 and 12 months. The participants choose the duration.
- The application process is open all year round, there is no application deadline. We recommend starting the applying process between 2 and 6 months before departure.
- SCI Switzerland is cautious to send volunteers to projects in other continents for only a short period of time due to the significant ecological footprint involved. Please read our recommendations at the bottom of the page.
Here’s an overview of the upcoming long-term volunteer projects in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan:
Kyrgyzstan: Art Project with Children
- Dates: Possible all year round, preferably July – September
- Location: Bishkek and other cities in Kyrgyzstan
- Description: The B’Art Center Art Project rooted in social engagement since 2007, focuses on supporting disadvantaged youth and vulnerable families through art therapies and various social initiatives. Children facing challenging circumstances find solace and expression in the workshops, culminating in impactful exhibitions showcasing their creations. As a volunteer you can join the nomadic Art Camp in Kyrgyzstan, held in July and August, where collaboration with local communities to develop art projects for children takes place. The project seeks an open-minded, reliable individual with a background in working with disadvantaged children, a grasp of non-formal education basics, and good knowledge in English (Russian is a plus).
Kyrgyzstan: Nomadic Art Camp
- Dates: Preparations May – June, Camp July – September
- Location: shores of mountain lakes in the Tien Shan foothills
- Description: The Nomadic Art Camp is a global ecological and social project fostering international dialogue on sustainability, nomadic life, and cultural exchange. Since 2011, the camp has brought together artists, curators, and researchers to explore Kyrgyz nomadic culture in the Tien Shan foothills. Participants engage in traditional practices, ecological exploration, and artistic pursuits, contributing to a unique intersection of art, ecology, and cultural exchange. The project seeks volunteers to work remotely on graphic design, video editing, and website promotion, culminating in active participation in the Nomadic Art Camp in Kyrgyzstan, with opportunities for an art residency. Ideal volunteers are open-minded, reliable, with a background in social media, and good knowledge of English (Russian is a plus).
Uzbekistan: Volunteering in a school
- Dates: project available all year round, preferably start in August and February
- Location: Namangan (Uzbekistan)
- Description: As a volunteer, you can choose to teach English and/or German to primary or secondary school students, or extend your support to the kindergarten staff. Beyond the classroom, volunteers are encouraged to assist with basic school-related tasks. Main tasks encompass language instruction, basic IT support, potential involvement in gardening and landscape architecture, and creating enriching activities for children using educational tools.The volunteer should be open-minded, reliable, and able to work independently, with prior experience with children and basic IT skills being advantageous but not obligatory. Good knowledge in English (and/or German) is essential, and some knowledge of Russian would be a plus.
How to apply:
If you want to participate, please read the conditions, costs and registration process of the project you are interested in.
Please be aware that if you are interested in participating in one of these projects, you will have to take part in a special preparation before departure. Please contact us for further information.
If you have any questions you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 031 381 46 20.
Ecological Footprint and Recommendations:
At SCI Switzerland, we are committed to promoting sustainable practices and minimizing the ecological footprint of our volunteers. We recommend the following guidelines for participants:
Extend your Stay: We encourage volunteers to consider staying as long as possible. A more extended duration allows for a deeper impact and engagement with the project and the local community. Think about your ecological footprint!
Travel Sustainably: Whenever possible, choose environmentally-friendly transportation options. Consider avoiding flights and opt for trains or buses instead. Reach out to us – we can provide you with tips on how to travel more ecologically – contact us!