Building Bridges Toolkit
The Toolkit was designed to collect and share the know-how on voluntary projects involving people seeking or who have recently found refuge, as well as raising awareness on forced migration in general. The collection of guidelines, methods and case studies is non-exhaustive and should simply foster your own inspiration and support you in implementing projects on the topic. The creation of the Toolkit has been driven by the ever bigger need of the international SCI network to exchange best practices on projects in the field. It was coordinated by SCI Switzerland with the support of Útilapu Hungary. Its existence wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the Mercator Foundation Switzerland and the active contribution of the Building Bridges working group and a number of SCI branches.
METHODS AND TOOLS serve to support your work on the topic of refugees and migration with different target groups.
FILM AND DOCUMENTARY SCREENING
Films or documentaries about refugees and migration
Objectives / aim: Raising awareness and knowledge on the topic by films and documentaries.
Level of Difficulty: medium; most movies on the topic can provoke strong emotions. Prepare for deep discussions.
Presenting to the audience films and documentaries which deal with different aspects of the topic of forced migration. Adding an exchange, discussion or more enables to hear different opinions on the topic, which can be seen as an added value.
1. Choose the format of the screening.
2. Depending on the format you need to establish a team to prepare and organize.
3. Find a place and date for the event.
4. Choose the screening and make sure you have all the devices you need.
5. Promote the event.
6. Prepare the follow-up, discussion, etc.
- Invite also refugees to the film screening (but make sure to screen the film in languages understood by the refugees and discuss with them in advance if they would be ok with the content of the movie etc).
- A few examples of films on the topic:
14 kilómetros (2007)
In This World (2002)
Desert Flower (2009)
Turtles Can Fly (2004)
The Kite Runner (2007)
Journey of Hope (1990)
The Land Between (2014)
They will have to kill us first (2015)
A Syrian Love Story (2015)
- Website where you could find movies on the topic: https://www.moviesthatmatter.nl/
- Dadaab Stories: Everyone in the world’s largest refugee settlement has a story to tell, and this is the place to share them with the world. The platform is an evolving online documentary and ultimately a collaborative community media project. It’s an initiative of FilmAid, a humanitarian media organization that has been making, teaching and screening films in Dadaab since 2006.
- Across the Sea: This platform documented migration journeys along main routes of the Mediterranean Sea. A group of media experts (video and audio) from Italy, Spain, Tunisia, Israel and Malta have visited several places along the routes. The objective was mapping the migration routes passing through those places. They have made use of video, audio and photos to collect stories.