Building Bridges Toolkit
The Toolkit was designed to collect and share the know-how on voluntary projects involving people seeking or who have recently found refuge, as well as raising awareness on forced migration in general. The collection of guidelines, methods and case studies is non-exhaustive and should simply foster your own inspiration and support you in implementing projects on the topic. The creation of the Toolkit has been driven by the ever bigger need of the international SCI network to exchange best practices on projects in the field. It was coordinated by SCI Switzerland with the support of Útilapu Hungary. Its existence wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the Mercator Foundation Switzerland and the active contribution of the Building Bridges working group and a number of SCI branches.
METHODS AND TOOLS serve to support your work on the topic of refugees and migration with different target groups.
Time needed: ca. 60 min.
Objectives / aim: Empathize with somebody else’s experience
Level of Difficulty: easy
Number of participants: Min. 4 pairs
Contact / Source: Tània Muñoz (storyteller)
The participants share a personal story to another person, who will later repeat the story as if it was his/her personal one.
1. Split people in pairs (it’s better if they don’t know each other yet)
2. Every pair has 20 min. to share their stories.
3. After the 20 min have passed, we create a circle with all the participants.
4. Every person has max. 10 minutes to tell the story that the other persons told him/her and optionally to describe the feelings that the story made him/her experience.
5. The activity is over when everybody has narrated the story that the other person has told him/her.
Do not force people to speak about very private or uncomfortable experiences.