Volunteering in a school in Uzbekistan
The Russian speaking private school in Namangan has some interesting tasks for its volunteers: you can either teach English or/and German in primary or secondary school or help the staff of a kindergarten. The volunteers are also expected to help with some basic tasks that are part of the life of a school.
Why volunteering in a private school? Private schools in Uzbekistan are much easier to work with than state/public schools. Volunteers receive easier access to workplaces, visa services and accomodation. There is no big difference between private and public schools other than in number of students per class (40/20). Private school can also manage their own curriculum.
The staff of the school is welcoming and helpful. The students are motivated and happy to meet people from other countries and learn more about other cultures. Despite the fact that parents should pay for the education of their children, the school is in great need for volunteers, since private organizations suffer a lot from the lack of funds resulting from the corona crisis.
The Russian speaking private school in Namangan already has some experience in accommodating and working with international volunteers.
- Teaching English and/or German to primary and secondary school students or supporting the staff of the kindergarten
- Basic IT support (website creation, general IT support in class, teaching IT to students)
- If possible, help with gardening and landscape architecture
- Creating activities for children using smart toys, basic books (fairy tales), puzzles, etc.
- A volunteer should be open-minded and reliable
- It is also important for a volunteer to be able to work independently. Previous experience with children and basic IT skills would be an asset, but not obligatory.
- Good command of English (and/or German) is a must (some Russian might also be useful)
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION:
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Composition of a report on your engagement on returning
- Interest in the respective region and in the work of SCI Switzerland
- Participation in a preparatory seminar
- Pass on your own experiences to new volunteers after the assignment
SCI SWITZERLAND OFFERS:
- Food and lodging on site
- Assistance by SCI Switzerland before departure, during the assignment and after returning
- Invitation letter for visas if needed
- Preparation and evaluation of the assignment
- One-year membership with SCI Switzerland (incl. SCI newsletter, reduction of seminar fees, etc.)
- Visa service if desired
- Participation fee: CHF 690.- (There is a reduction of CHF 30.- for those with no or little income)
- Local administration fee (Arrival transfer incl.): USD 150.-
- 1-month language course (when needed): USD 150.-
- 1-month homestay (2 meals per day included): USD 250-300.-
- Travel expenses (you will have to organize the trip yourself)
- Costs for visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, etc. (visa service via SCI)
If you cancel a program you must in any case pay 60% of the participation fee. If we receive the cancellation later than three weeks before the start of the program, or in the event of a no-show or early termination of the program, you will pay the entire registration fee.
Why pay for volunteering?
SCI Switzerland is a certified non-profit organisation. In order to organise and arrange volunteer placements, as well as for the preparation and follow-up of volunteers and camp coordinators, we rely on participation fees, membership fees and donations. The participation fee covers only a small part of the real expenses. SCI Switzerland is mainly supported by its long-standing members and donors, as well as by state funding. Furthermore, SCI Switzerland realises the workcamps mainly with the help of the local project partners.
- Read the terms and conditions carefully (above).
- Inquire about travel expenses, visa requirements and health matters.
- If you have any questions, please contact Nathalia: email@example.com / 031 381 46 20.
- Request the registration form, fill it out carefully and send it to Nathalia. Your registration is final, cancellation fees will apply.
WHAT HAPPENS THEN?
We will check your registration carefully. If you meet the conditions for participation, we will forward your registration to our local partner organization. This will decide on the inclusion in the project. As soon as we have received an answer, we will inform you and discuss the next steps with you.
This project is part of the “Eastwards” programme. Eastwards offers projects in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan, not only long-term volunteering, but also Russian language courses, stays with host families, cultural trips for groups and internships.